July 2018 #obsm chat: Practical Tips to Help You Stay on Track This Summer
The summer is here, which means there are pool parties, barbeques, picnics, social outings, and perhaps even some travel and getaways planned. As much as the summertime is fun, this can be a particularly difficult time for people who are trying to lose weight, or have lost weight and are trying to maintain their weight and healthier lifestyle. Many people think they can’t be both social AND healthy, but this is not true. Of course it is possible to be both social and healthy, but it just takes a little bit of work and planning.
The summer, parties, holidays, etc. can be potentially “high-risk” or challenging situations. Since we know these times can be stressful, we can plan for them in order to set ourselves up for success. We can think about what part of the summer, or social outings, may be particularly stressful or difficult for us and then make sure we have a plan going in. For instance, if you know it is going to be stressful because there are no healthy food options at the barbeque or pool party you are going to, then you can plan by asking the host/hostess if you can bring a healthy dish to share. Another good tip is to eat something small before you go, so you don’t show up hungry. Maybe you are asked to go to more happy hours during the summertime even though you want to go to the gym after work or go home and cook a healthy dinner. You can actually do both, as long as you plan accordingly. Maybe stop by the happy hour for a short time prior to the gym, or plan to go to the gym in the morning that day instead of the evening.
An important aspect of being successful with any behavioral change, and in particular your weight loss journey, is to remember: we can’t control other people, but we CAN control our reactions and our behaviors. Planning and having the ability to think through different scenarios is such an important part of having a healthy and happy life, as is making sure that we accomplish our goals. In this way we can make sure we focus on the things we have control over rather than fixating on things that are beyond our control.
In this month’s chat, we will discuss challenges that the summer may bring, as well as practical tips to help you stay on track. We are particularly interested to hear from individuals who either have struggled with this and/or have helpful tips.
We will explore the following questions:
1. What are some of the challenges you face in your weight management during the summer months? For healthcare providers what are some of the challenges your patients are sharing?
2. What tips, tricks, recipes or lifehacks can you share for eating healthy in the summer
3. What are some tips, do’s and don’ts, ideas for keeping or starting a fitness routine in the summer?
4. Are there any apps, websites, books, articles, or other resources that you have found helpful in your weight management journey?
5. Motivate and inspire each other: Please share some health goals you have this summer? Would love to see some pictures too, #obsm chatters!